2023 is right around the corner, literally! For any human resources team or employer, staying compliant is essential. There are so many dates, deadlines, holidays, and other events to stay on top of, especially when you have a growing team that makes employment, payroll, and documentation more complex.
Compliance has been and continues to be one of the most important focuses of any human resources team. As an HR professional, you need to be aware of all state, federal, and national laws to ensure your company adheres to standards and legal obligations.
In this article, we’ve outlined the key compliance deadlines and dates for HR in 2023. Want to easily access it throughout the year? Download our 2023 HR Compliance Calendar template!
2023 HR Compliance deadlines
Although you may start the new year strong, we’re here to help keep that momentum all year long. At Factorial, we’ve put together a 2023 HR Compliance Calendar to keep you aware of important compliance deadlines and other special dates throughout 2023.
The calendar download includes a calendar view of all the dates listed below plus federal and regional holidays. Also, the calendar will connect you to important links and extra details related to each compliance deadline.
Here are the key deadlines and dates to keep in mind as you go through 2023:
January 2023 deadlines and dates
- January 31st:
- Distribute W-2s and 1099-MISC (Paper & E-File)
- Quarterly Forms 941 & 720 due
- Distribute 1095-B & 1095-C Forms to employees
- Form 940 due (If quarterly FUTA taxes were not paid when due)
- Form 1099-NEC to both the IRS and to recipients
- Form 1099-MISC with only boxes 8 & 10 to be sent to the recipient
February 2023 deadlines and dates
- February 1st: Post OSHA Form 300A
- February 10th: Annual Form 940 Due (If quarterly FUTA taxes were paid when due)
- February 28th:
- Deadline to file ACA Forms 1094-C, 1095-C, 1099-MISC without NEC to IRS (If paper filing)
- Form 8809 Paper Filing Deadline
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
March 2023 deadlines and dates
- March 1st: HIPAA Breach Employee Notification and Form M-1 Filing Deadline
- March 2nd: Electronically submit OSHA Form 300A and Creditable Coverage Disclosure to CMS (for calendar year plans)
- March 15th:
- Form 8809 E-filing deadline, S Corp (Form 1120-S) and Partnership (Form 1065) Tax Returns due
- Form 2553 due
- March 31st:
- Form 1099-MISC due if reporting NEC in box 7
- File deadline Form 1099s electronically
- File deadline Form 1094-C & 1095-C & 1099-MISC without NEC to IRS electronically
- EEO-1 Reporting and Filing Deadline
April 2023 deadlines and dates
- April 18th:
- Tax Day (filing deadline for personal tax returns & C corporations)
- Forms 7004 and 8928 Filing Deadline
- April 28th: Summary Plan Description (SPD)
May 2023 deadlines and dates
- May 1st: Quarterly Form 941 & 720 due
- May 15th: Non-Profit Tax Returns due, including Form 990
June 2023 deadlines and dates
No compliance dates to worry about this month! Enjoy the beginning of summer!
July 2023 deadlines and dates
- July 31st:
- Quarterly Form 941 & 720 due
- Forms 5500 and 5558 Filing Deadline (for calendar year plans)
- Compliance check
August 2023 deadlines and dates
No compliance dates to worry about this month!
September 2023 deadlines and dates
- September 29th: Supply SAR to covered participants for calendar year plans deadline
October 2023 deadlines and dates
- October 3rd:
- QSEHRA Notice Deadline (for QSEHRAs that begin January 1, 2024)
- RDS Application Due to CMS (for plan years beginning in January 1, 2024)
- October 13th: Medicare Part D Notice of Creditable Coverage delivered to plan participants
- October 31st: Quarterly Form 941 & 720 due
November 2023 deadlines and dates
- November 1st: Remind employees to submit FSA Receipts before end of year
December 2023 deadlines and dates
- December 29th:
- Nondiscrimination testing, 401K plans, 125 Premium Only Plans (POP), and flexible spending account (FSA) nondiscrimination testing (if on calendar plan year),
- Review employee handbooks,
- Distribute 2024 calendar
Stay compliant with Factorial
Keeping track of everything legal and finance related can be a daunting task. Factorial’s document management features do the organization for you. Make customizable folders for your teams. Whether it be payslips, contracts, or invoices, there’s no worry about where documents are located and how to access them. Managers and employees can access them from a centralized place.
In addition, you can get legal documents signed quickly and digitally straight from Factorial. Need a signature from another employee? Request e-signatures when you need to!